Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Balloon Fiesta 2018 NM

Two years after my first solo experience, I had to go back... with the addition friends and family. This time I had six in my troupe. The weather may have been nicer than two years ago, but the crowds were bigger than ever. Over 500 balloons lifted off (when the hurricane weather was absent) and the masses gathered to witness their ascent. And yes, hurricane weather managed to find me and bring wind and rain into the southwest desert. This would be a theme throughout the trip...

Luckily for my pack, it didn't matter when the liftoff was canceled. We managed to get the good days, and we stayed a few miles away from the launch site. So we didn't have to chase the balloons... they landed in the neighboring yards. I spent several mornings shouting to the sky– using ridiculous hand gestures– trying to convince balloonists to land on our turf. 

I did not attend the Glowdeo as I did in 2016. This is where the balloons light up at night and drum lines pass through the park. Instead, (as designated co-pilot) we took a trip up a few thousand feet in a rainbow-striped balloon along the Rio Grande. 




Vincent Van Gogh made his first appearance. 






I had to run to the next yard and help tow this fish balloon away from the trees. Which was pretty much impossible until another neighbor arrived and lent me some muscle. Then together, we bounced it towards the road– and I walked away victoriously covered in spiky spurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment