Monday, January 22, 2018

New Year Nature Adventures

I decided to bring in the new year with a few "closer to home" adventures. Before 2017 ended, I managed to wiggle my way aboard a brigantine tallship and spent Christmas viking style. That was enough adventure for awhile; 2018 will be a bit more relaxed. By 'relaxed' I mean no major disappearing acts as I venture out into the unknown. No, this year I will behave and stay close to home. Luckily for me, my backyard has adventures of its own.


Natural Pools

A short hike around Point Blanche takes you to the Natural Pools. (I now claim to have two natural pools, as the villa’s pools have turned swamp green with a good bit of life swirling around them. As much as I’d like to be back swimming in there, how can I take away this abundant habitat? The ducks would surely be upset.)

Anyways. The Point Blanche Natural Pools are of a different sort. Connected to the South Eastern side of the island, they get rough waves from the Atlantic. The Tradewinds also make the swimming conditions not so ideal. However, it’s totally fine to take a dip in the pools which are protected by the jagged rocks. Okay, mildly protected… we still get some big waves and swell into the pools. Which could be dangerous. And there are a number of sea urchins, so be careful where you step. 

As a matter of fact, just hire Margo and me as your guide. Better be safe than lost and sorry.



Garden Blues (& Yellows)

I built a couple of gardens out of debris. I was pretty proud, seeing that I spent no money on the materials, and instead pulled them from mangroves and the beach. Then I grew many plants from seedlings. I like the start to finish process; I have a seed and soon I will have a fruit. Or so it goes. Plants surely teach you patience. 

Unfortunately, when I left on my sailing trip in December, caterpillars bombarded the island. Masses of caterpillars marched in like I’ve never seen before. Over night they could strip a plant down to nothing. Ooh how they do love squash. My pumpkin, yellow squash and zucchini were finished in a matter of days. I would spend hours picking them off, one by one. Just to find a new hatching the next morning. 

At last I left them to feast. I could have bought an insecticide, but poising myself isn't on my to do list. So this time, the caterpillars won. And soon enough we had “Caribbean Snowflakes” which are white butterflies that dazzle around you. They are so beautiful. And I hate them. 

I now know their true nature, and what they did to my innocent plants. It’s not easy not being able to enjoy a butterfly (aka flutter by). It’s a strange feeling. So bitter towards those beautiful beasts. 

But the caterpillars were wild. Hundreds of them in our house. They would repel from the ceiling with Bond like dexterity. Landing on my shoulders until Andy would point them out. “You’ve got another one.” “So do you.”

I did manage to keep a few of the plants alive. The tomatoes survived unscathed. The okra went unnoticed in a different part of the yard. My brussels sprouts proved to be brussels sprouts (why does nobody like them?!). And my sunflower replaced the fallen palm tree. 


So the caterpillars weren’t totally ruthless. But taking 50% of my yield right as flowers were blooming was pretty damn mean. (Did you know they shit where they sleep? Who can respect that?)

I've decided for the next time they're in season, I will welcome them with arms wide open. Right into my pan. (Okay, first I'll freeze them which is more humane then once they're no longer they get tossed in the pan.) From there I will take back my food. I grow a garden to supplement my diet. So if they are going to eat it, I'm going to eat them. And thanks for doing the digestive work for me! Don't mind the extra protein either. 

It's clean, sustainable, organic, local, nutritious... and tasty. Yes, believe it or not, anything fried and seasoned correctly will taste good. It's all in your head, man. 

Surf's Up in St. Martin


(Okay, bad play on words, still keeping it.) This will be the year of my surf debut. It's time to conquer my very realistic fear of being discombobulated in the ocean. In addition, the last few times I went surfing I would throw up a tiny bit. Which is really weird and funny; I just couldn't take the pressure from lying on the board. I took it as a sign that surfing wasn't for me.

But now I've been watching others carve the waves and I'm a bit jealous. So I've decided to invest in a wetsuit and board. I've spent time on the smaller waves and it turns out surfing isn't that scary. Especially when you're surfing the waves, not on your board paddling until you barf. Big difference there.


Keep an eye out for me– SXM's newest and fiercest surfer. I am now taking on early sponsors. I have ways to improve, but I'm accepting lavish gifts in return for surf promotions/ related material.



No comments:

Post a Comment