Friday, November 10, 2017

St. Martin Wildlife and Nature Fund *Turtle* Edition

Things are hot, sunny, and humid as always here in SXM. I cannot update with our progress as often as I’d like. Mostly due to my lack of internet (and also when I do have internet… I’m in a cloud of mosquitoes. So I try to work quickly.)


We are all working nonstop to get things back to normal.

So far I've been focused on growing plants. Starting with building a garden completely made out of debris found in our mangroves. (It turned out to be pretty cute, actually.) We’ve got vegetables and avocado and papaya trees on the way. Gardening in the Caribbean sun is no small feat. I also just finished reading a mighty heavy book on Caribbean Gardening, so I feel a bit more confident in a good harvest.

Will share updates on this when I've got more plants and soil to my name.

The most exciting news is that we were able to rescue baby sea turtles yesterday. Thanks to the help of a local watchman, we removed debris from the nests and uncovered babies eager to make their journey. We documented their way to sea and karate chopped any curious birds.


There are quite a few other nests that need uncovering. Sadly, many of the turtles did not make it out in time. So we are going to put more efforts into setting free the trapped babies.


We saved eleven baby sea turtles– which is just the beginning. Please share this with your turtle-lovin' friends. The more support, the quicker the wildlife will return.

Enjoy the photos. And thank you for donating to the St.Martin Wildlife and Nature Fund!



Military Turtle Stops At Nothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment