Friday, September 1, 2017

Hiking High

Preikestolen is a famous hike that rises a mere 604 meters (1981 ft) above Lysefjord, an area close to Stavanger, southwest Norway. Otherwise known as Pulpit Rock, it usually takes 4 hours of hiking (roundtrip). The trail is laid out well with stone steps supervised by Nepalese Sherpas. Why fly Sherpas over thousands of miles to place stones in the ground? Because Norwegians are thorough, that's why. 

Streams run throughout the area so freshwater is always near by. Although I knew the water was perfectly good, I still had strange thoughts as I sipped my yellow-tinted water. Tasted fine, looked a bit dirty... just close your eyes.

Most semi-conditioned persons can make it to the top with a few breaks. I felt the burn after 2.5 hours of powering through. I may be lucky to have muscles after this trip.

Because I did this hike in August, the sun was still shining past 21:00. That meant we did not have to go during the rush hour/noon time crowd. A local drug enforcement officer/dog handler and his service pup took me to the top. We left Sadnes, a town close to Stavanger, at 16:30 and arrived to the trail head at 17:30.  I didn't realize it was so far from town. We had to take the car with a ferry as well. Conclusion: friends are good to have. Friends with cars are even better. Because we started so late, we had a very easy time navigating the trail. No congestion or dog fights.

Although I don't have photos of the trail up to the top, you can imagine there were a lot of stairs involved. And I remember thinking as I climbed, "Good thing I like rocks." My friend (and guide) also complimented me that I had complained the least out of all of his guests. Though I can't remember if I had a single one. Like I said, good thing I like rocks and free water.






 







Around 8 o'clock at night on the way down the mountain. I was nervous there would not be enough light for good photos. Wasn't the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment