Thursday, May 4, 2017

Zhangjiajie National Forest Park

Zhangjiajie (pronounced chang-gee-ah-gee-eh) is China's first national forest park. Absolutely the most impressive place I've ever been. Not only are the mountain formations amazing, the fact that the Chinese were able to build an entire park around it, over it and under it was almost equally spectacular.


The area is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a Global Geopark. The karst mountains were formed over millions of years by the sea. Creating sandstone peaks with vegetation everywhere.



One thing that kept creeping into my mind was how the trees were able to grow on the very tops of the rock. No soil? No problem. If a tree can sustain life here, then at least I can accomplish a few of my own goals. Thanks, trees... for putting things into perspective for me.





The Austrian-made cablecars were impeccable. We had to throw down a whopping $11 a person to ride, but being Westerns on vacation, we agreed. I'm still trying to figure out how they were built. Keep in mind, there's no real path up to the mountains here. Jagged rock 90% of the way. And since we often saw workers carrying buckets of cement on their backs, it made us wonder how dedicated these people are. I would have liked to ask them, but we found very few English speakers among us.





This blue sky was not often seen in China. Not much later in the day the rain picked up and the wind kicked in. I was wearing shorts. To my surprise, the Chinese men and women found this hilarious. I've never been so openly ridiculed. I was shamed into buying a rain jacket and wool shaw. No more pointing and laughing at me! I'm still bitter.


This quartz-sandstone pillar has been renamed "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain" thanks to its fame in the movie. Which is how Westerns really became aware of this place. Funny enough, the director said the scenery was an inspiration for the movie, but they had no affiliation with the park. Of course, the Chinese brushed that aside and took credit for the movie. I would too.













Strange enough, we saw about three birds in the park. There were monkeys, though. My father, despite the signs: "do none teasing to the monkey," tried feeding them a muffin. Giant salamanders are also said to be around, though I only saw them on menus.









The day when I invested in a selfie stick, and my life changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment